3RD IWC CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Dear Wheat Stakeholder,
I am writing to you on behalf of the International Organizing Committee (IOC) for the 3rd International Wheat Congress to be held in 2023.
The First International Wheat Congress (1st IWC) held July 21-29, 2019 at Saskatoon, Canada was an overwhelming success with just over 900 registered delegates. The Second International Wheat Congress (2nd IWC) will take place September 13-17, 2021 in Beijing, China and is promising to be an even bigger event.
The IOC recognizes that significant lead time is required for organizing such a large Congress. Therefore, the decision on the venue and timing for the 3rd International Wheat Congress will be approved by the International Organizing Committee (IOC) members based on applications submitted by interested organizations. The Wheat Initiative will facilitate the process on behalf of the IOC.
The process to select the next host country is as follows:
1. Institutions or organizations interested in hosting the 3rd IWC must submit an application that addresses the attached criteria. Applications will be accepted until Friday 1st November, 2019, and should be sent to Wheat Initiative email@example.com
2. The application must be accompanied with a cover letter signed by an authorized representative of the applying institution confirming their support.
3. The IOC members will select the host country based on the information provided in the application and inform all competing countries by 31th January, 2020.
I ask that you forward the application information to institutions that you think would be interested to host the 3rd IWC in 2023.
Thank you for considering hosting the 3rd International Wheat Congress. On behalf of the IOC, we are looking forward to welcoming you to the Second International Wheat Congress, September 13-17, 2021 in Beijing, China.
Chair, International Organizing Committee
Thank you for your interest to host the 3rd International Wheat Congress in 2023. Based on the attendances at the 1st International Congress, we expect around 1000 participants.
Please send your application to the Wheat Initiative Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than Friday 1st November 2019. The Secretariat will collate and forward applications to the Chair of the International Organizing Committee, Professor Curtis Pozniak. The IOC will evaluate the applications and the successful bid will be announced not later than 31st January 2020.
To facilitate your application, we ask that you provide details to all questions below. In addition, the application must be accompanied with a cover letter signed by an authorized representative of your institution or organization, supporting your bid to host and organize the 3rd International Wheat Congress.
1. In which city will the conference be held?
2. What dates in 2023 do you recommend holding the conference? Note: It will be important to avoid major international and national holidays. Also include in your considerations that the timing should be set to allow participation of as many wheat researchers as possible including those working in field research. Please be prepared to discuss alternative timings with the IOC.
3. Provide examples (including web addresses) of appropriate conference and hotel facilities. Ideally, the conference should take place in a hotel or several nearby hotels large enough to accommodate 1,000+ participants.
4. Do you anticipate discounted costs for hotel rooms? Please include an estimate of hotel room costs.
5. What are the nearest international and national airports, and what is the distance and the transport infrastructure from the conference venue to the nearest airport(s)?
6. Are there nationalities, which are currently unable to obtain visa to enter your country, or are likely to have difficulty in obtaining a visa?
7. Provide an estimated budget for the conference, including venue rental fees, airport transfer fees, social and field days event(s) costs, lunches, abstract and proceedings publication costs, local organizing committee management costs, etc. Provide an estimate of registration fees for senior participants and for student participants. Please include in your budget planning an additional fund to support the conference participation for early stage researchers and delegates from non-OECD countries.
8. List the potential local, national or international organizations and companies that may be considered to provide sponsorship funding to the conference.
9. Please provide examples of your organization’s past experience(s) in organizing local, regional, national or international meetings/congresses.
10. Will the conference be organized by staff within your organization, or a contracted local conference organizer (provide name(s) of candidate individuals or companies)?